Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2023
Applications for the fully funded Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2023 are currently open to excellent postgraduate students across the globe.
The Canadian Government Scholarships 2023 is now open for Canadian and international students under the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2023 program. The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is a fully-funded Canadian Government scholarship program for Canadian citizens, international students, and permanent residents of Canada. Meanwhile, fully-funded Canadian scholarships are available in almost all academic fields in top Canadian Universities. This scholarship is available to pursue masters and Ph.D. degree programs. Therefore, if you have ever planned to study in Canada, this scholarship is the best opportunity for you.
Each year, the Canadian Government offers several International Canadian Government Scholarships programs for domestic (Canadians) and international students to come to Canada and study at top universities in the country. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program is one fo them. However, Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is one of the competitive scholarships for postgraduate programs. Continue reading to learn more about this exciting scholarship program.
In this article, we will explain in full detail everything you need to know about the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, from the eligibility requirements to the scholarship benefits, how to apply, and any other important information you need to know about the scholarship program.
About the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Named after Major-General Georges P. Vanier, the first francophone Governor General of Canada, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canadian institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students. The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada's ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning by offering them a significant financial award to assist them during their studies at Canadian universities. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Moreover, Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, or health-related fields. Scholarship recipients receive $50,000 each year for three years. Once fully implemented, the program will support up to 166 scholars annually. Furthermore, the Vanier CGS program helps Canada’s universities attract excellent doctoral students from across Canada and worldwide. These promising scholars help create a dynamic and innovative environment on Canadian university campuses. Vanier scholarship is referred to as the Rhodes scholarship of Canada.
Furthermore, here's an overview of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program
The Canadian Government
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Level of Study:
FIeld(s) of Study:
Ph.D. programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as a requirement for completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year
Number of Awards:
Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
Moreover, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship recipients will be provided with the following inclusions.
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years. The $50,000 is enough to cover university fees, accommodation, and other expenses. Students will get $50,000 every year to meet their educational expenses.
Eligibility Requirements for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Applicants must meet the following criteria below to be eligible to apply for the Vanier CGS. To be considered you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1 May 2023
- have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by 1 May 2023 if:
- enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/Ph.D., MA/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D. Applicants that fall into this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program,
- accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a Ph.D. (no time spent in a Master’s program); or
- accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply
Interested students can follow the step-by-step guide below to apply for the Vanier CGS:
To begin with, interested applicants for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2023 are to note that the scholarships usually will follow a nominating process. That is to say, candidates must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate. Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by the scholarship deadline.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more detailed information on the eligibility requirements and application instructions for the Vanier CGS.